Gallery

Latest topics
Moving House - All of my beautiful angelfish must go ASAP to expert homes before 6th August 2017!!! - UK only

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

Hi everyone,

It breaks my heart to write this, but all of my …

Comments: 3

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters

New Angel opinions please

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Angel opinions please

Post  Babyangels on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 14:52

Got this little one today and would like some opinions on type and gender if I may Smile thank you.

Smile

Babyangels

Back to top Go down

Re: New Angel opinions please

Post  Pterophyllum on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 15:50

Looks to be a gold marble, too small to sex IMO, but Wildreddeer might give it a go.

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 16:23

umm, ok.
Don't bank on this one but I would say it is more of a male than a female. Neutral
Give it a week or so and ask again.
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Babyangels on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 17:16

Thank you both I'll update again in a weeks time, oh and what's the difference between a koi and a gold marble? Smile

Babyangels

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 18:45

A koi is a blushing gold marble.
Blushing results when a fish inherits two copies of the stripeless gene. The most obvious differences are that koi, usually don't have striations in the dorsal, anal & caudal fins, and the skin has a matte appearance with the odd patch of highly reflective guanine.

This is a typical gold marble :-

and this a typical koi :-

Back to top Go down

Post  Babyangels on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 19:42

That's great, thank you Smile

Babyangels

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 03:33

Its body is quite 'lemon' shaped, that is, it is longer than it is high. I like angels that have a nice round body shape, just my preference. You'll see that it has quite a pointed mouth a bit like a beak, a 'pokey nose' as I would say. As it gets older and puts on some weight, I think it will be less pokey. The area between the tip of the mouth and the head will 'fill in', not sure with what, it's just something I've observed in Angelfish. So it will look a little rounder.

I've also noticed in ill angelfish, that they can loose the said tissue (the triangle above the eye) which gives the fish a more 'pokey nose'. I'm not saying your fish is ill.

Although it seems to have quite a rounded forehead, which would indicate female. The profile underneath seems quite short, the chest isn't too pronounced, so it's more indicative of male. Which one? I'd say male too.

Just in case it wasn't obvious, a blushing angel (s/s) will have pinkish gills when it is a young fish, but that changes over time. A blushing angel always has either two blushing parents OR one blushing parent with the other a ghost OR both parents were ghosts... if I remember correctly.

Deans_Angels

http://www.angelfish.org,uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Babyangels on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 09:22

Thanks for the info, you may be right on this little one being ill, I noticed it was the quietest in the tank so whilst most of the others rushed forward this one was hovering in the middle but I was captivated by it's markings so I decided to go ahead anyway hopefully with a bit of tlc I can bring he/she round and hoping once mature he/she will make a nice centrepiece for my tank, will keep you posted Very Happy

Babyangels

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels on Tue 05 Jul 2016, 13:36

Lively and alert fish, especially when young is a good sign. If it's feeding okay now, no problem.

If not, try some alternative food. When this fish was younger, it no doubt chased baby brine shrimp to eat and survive, it's very natural and they do this instinctively.

Sometimes young angelfish just look at flake / dry food as if to say 'what on earth's that? where's the live brine shrimp?'

Yeah, keep us all posted.

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Babyangels on Tue 12 Jul 2016, 14:30

Here he/she is as of today, I also picked up another Angel which I believe is a Platinum Pearlscale? please don't tell me I have a pair lol they are getting on well but my Gourami has taken an instant dislike to this newcomer not sure why perhaps it is the shimmering scales?

Babyangels

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 02:42

Yes that is a Platinum Pearlscale... very easy to identify.

When comparing the photo of the pearlscale to the other one, I can see what makes the female, a female. An arched forehead and a more angular body. In comparison, the pearlscale is probably male. So potentially you have a pair.

The fry would all be forced to inherit dads, gold, blue and pearlscale genes, but none of them would be platinums. If you wanted platinums you'd have to wait until the next generation, for example, by doing a sibling (bro x sister) cross... (dad x daughter) is also possible in the fish world. Off the top of my head, probably less than 25% would be platinums in the sibling cross, the other cross would be more like 50%. The pearlscale will be lost in the next generation, if the pair aren't both pearlscale.

If you like platinums and want 100% platinum fry without waiting for the next generation, you have to start with a pair of platinums. That's enough 'platinums' for this post.

I've always liked the look of them.

Last edited by Deans_Angels on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 13:41; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added alternative cross)

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 16:41

both beautiful angels Shocked I'm not surprised you were drawn by the markings on the gold marble ... he/she is stunning. When I saw the first few photo's my gut said 'female' but Phil is normally right. Perhaps it's the fact that he/she is so pretty that made me think 'female'

I hope they both do well for you Smile
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Babyangels on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 21:13

Thank you Very Happy they are both doing well and eating like piggies now so I'm pleased! I am beginning to think they are both male which suits me fine, I rehomed my previous smokey pair as their breeding antics upset my other fish even though it was nice to experience and I even got to raise some fry! I miss them as they were great to watch so hoping these two fill that void nicely without the breeding, if they are both male I take it they can coexist peacefully? or would two females be better (incase that is what they are)? so far they are getting on no problems but I know they are young. I have no other angels and don't plan on getting more so hopefully they will be ok. Smile

Babyangels

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels on Thu 14 Jul 2016, 22:11

Some angelfish are naturally aggressive, others less so. In my experience aggression doesn't correspond to the sex of the fish. Angelfish enjoy having their own territory so lack of space can increase conflict.

If they pair up, they may well lip lock and test each other to make sure they're breeding with a good strong mate.

Sometimes fish learn to live with each other, sometimes they don't learn to adapt and it gets 'beyond a joke' when it's necessary to separate them for their own good (they can end up stressing each other out and physically damaging each other) beyond what is reasonable.

That's what's quite interesting about angels to me, they have their own personality, which can't be predicted. It follows that, the only way to see if they're going to get along, is to try it and see how it works out.

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  wildreddeer on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 22:31

It's the age and size that's putting me off.
But my gut and instincts are telling me it's a male, along with the new pearly.
Do I assume right that they are both youngsters?
And I mean very Young!
wildreddeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Babyangels on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 23:05

Hi, yes they are young I would say around 50p body size Smile

Babyangels

Back to top Go down

Post  Babyangels on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 20:08

Well just to update you all... we have a pair!!! lol Rolling Eyes the marble is the male and the pearlscale the female, they are just preparing to lay eggs for the first time now and have found a nice spot on the heater! they haven't been as near as aggressive to each other as my last pair so long may that continue Surprised

Babyangels

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top