» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Sun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Thu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Is there anybody out there?
Wed 16 Aug 2017, 18:55 by Pterophyllum

» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Wed 16 Aug 2017, 18:53 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Wed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Tue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Wed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

» post deleted
Wed 02 Aug 2017, 08:12 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters

Warning - Phone Scam

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Warning - Phone Scam

Post  Sjones_1 on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 19:00

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about a phone scam.

I was contact yesterday by a gentleman saying he was from "Windows" and that there was something was wrong with my computer and he need to me to give him access so he could fix it. Immediately my suspicions were aroused as I don't have a windows PC. I thought I'd go along with it so as to see what the scam was so I can warn my friends and family. He said they'd tried sending messages to my PC (which is impossible) and that I hadn't responded to them so they were now calling (which Microsoft would NEVER do!) before my hard-drive broke with all the errors.

I challenged him to prove to me that he was from Windows by providing me with some details, which he couldn't do and by asking for his contact details, which he couldn't provide. I repeatedly pushed him on this and he couldn't tell me any more than the fact that my computer was apparently broken and he needed to fix it because he was calling from "The Windows". When asked if he had any affiliation with Microsoft he said no.

So by this time I had someone who couldn't prove who he was, wasn't associated with microsoft the company he was calling about and still wanted access to my machine. Laughing

I asked him how he was going to fix my computer for me. He asked my to open 'Run' and enter a command which displayed a window showing me all the errors on my machine. He then wanted me to enter "www.ammyy.com" into the 'run' box. When he provided me with this link I googled it to see what it did as it was a new command to me. I came across this (http://www.avforums.com/forums/isps-internet/1241546-ammyy-phone-call-scam.html) link. It is a programme which gives them access to your machine.

It appears the scam was to gain access to my computer and then either steal the information from it, lock it out and then charge me to get my machine back or plant a virus and charge me to get rid of it.

I did not fall for the scam but others have. If you get such a call do not give them access to your machine!

Just wanted to give you all a heads up,

Sam

p.s. they have contacted quite a few people I have spoken to so watch out and warn others if you can.

Sjones_1

Back to top Go down

Re: Warning - Phone Scam

Post  Ghipsi on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 19:13

Some people are just the lowest of the low Evil or Very Mad

Ghipsi
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 20:19

We get a call from them at least once a fortnight. Had similar conversations with them as you. They can never give clear, concise answers to questions and we just hang up. Never looked into what the scam could be, but now I know! Thanks for enlightening me. Now I'll just tell them to get lost, but not so politely, if you know what I mean?
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top