» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Sun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Thu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Is there anybody out there?
Wed 16 Aug 2017, 18:55 by Pterophyllum

» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Wed 16 Aug 2017, 18:53 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Wed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Tue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Wed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters

RESEALING RIO 190

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: RESEALING RIO 190

Post  endlessendlers on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 13:59

Hi Dean

I will use a sponge as suggested.

I have a large tube of black. The one to fit a caulking gun. I'm guessing that should be enough?
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 14:44

endlessendlers wrote:
I have a large tube of black.  The one to fit a caulking gun.  I'm guessing that should be enough?

I would expect so.

Silicone Thickness:
Assuming there is a 1,0mm bed and the sealant has a tensile strength of 10 kg/cm2 (fairly standard for aquarium sealant) I think 5mm is about right. So from one side to the other, at its widest point will be 7mm.

(there are actual calculations to do this on the internet, but some of the equations are badly written and give incorrect results)
Also your tank must be a Rio 180, I think the 190's are the Trigon corner tanks.

Deans_Angels

http://www.angelfish.org,uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 14:56

the Rio line is 125, 180, 240, 300 and 400 so yes Dean, I think it must be the 180. Soooo .... while you have it in bits endlessendlers take a close look at the brace bar. The reason being is that there have been several instances of the brace bar on the 180 coming away from the glass leaving you with a bulging tank which then goes on to explode if ignored.

I've come across this problem from other Juwel owners on various forums over the years and it does appear to be a design fault in the 180. It would make perfect sense while you have the sealant out and are doing all the tank seams to do the brace bar aswell.

I did think of this before but the 190 thing was throwing me. I was thinking it was the corner Trigon not the oblong Rio
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Replacing Seal in Juwel Rio 180

Post  endlessendlers on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 17:51

I suspect you're right and it is 180 Dean. I don't really know where I got 190 from. Very Happy I will tape upto the original seal line as you recommend.

Akasha.  I have checked the brace and there doesn't seem to be any sign of wear or weakness.  It's also siliconed solidly to the glass.  I don't think there's a problem with it. I previously had a vision 180 and the brace looks no different from that. Thanks for pointing this out though.

Btw.  I found a large bulge in the back bottom seal.  There was alot of sand stuck between the glass and bottom seal.  I imagine there was also a leak there too.
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 18:08

oh dear ... it sounds like someone sold you a lemon. I hope karma comes around and kicks their butt well hard!

Glad to hear the brace bar looks sound. I'd never forgive myself if I didn't mention it and it turned out once you'd got it fixed up and filled up that it was faulty. I'll look forward to seeing this fixed up and all up and running Very Happy
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 19:41

Akasha wrote:oh dear ... it sounds like someone sold you a lemon. I hope karma comes around and kicks their butt well hard!

Glad to hear the brace bar looks sound. I'd never forgive myself if I didn't mention it and it turned out once you'd got it fixed up and filled up that it was faulty. I'll look forward to seeing this fixed up and all up and running Very Happy

Yes, karma.  Some people have no conscience.

After resealing I'll leave to cure for 3 days.  I'll fill it outside and check for a week to be sure there's no leaks.

Watch this space.  Very Happy
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 20:09

good luck hun, I hope it holds after all this hard work Smile
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 20:38

It's par for the course when buying used equipment. Expect tanks to leak, heaters to not know when to turn off, filters to be missing a vital part and air pumps to have as much pump as a non-pumping thing!

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 23:37

Thanks Akasha. I'm sure it will be fine. I have every confidence in my handy work!

This isn't the first faulty used tank I've bought. My Vision 180 had a dodgy light. Worked for the first 10 minutes then died. I wasn't prepared to pay big money for a new one, so my electrician hubby rigged up a light unit which was as good as a Multilux.
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  frapadoodle on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 12:06

Good show on the confidence. 90% of any do it yourself project is the confidence to say, I can do that. And remember if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence you were ever there.
Seriously though, it's looking good. Next thing you know you'll be building your own tanks.

frapadoodle

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 12:58

frapadoodle wrote: Good show on the confidence. 90% of any do it yourself project is the confidence to say, I can do that. And remember if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence you were ever there.
Seriously though, it's looking good. Next thing you know you'll be building your own tanks.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I don't think I'll be building any tanks of my own in the near future.  Lol.

I'm applying masking tape at the moment.  Even that's a challenge.  

Does it matter if the seal is wider at the bottom than the vertical corners at front and back?  I am leaving 5 mm for the verticals but the bottom is any thing between 7-10mm.I assume it doesn't cos you can't see the bottom seals.
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  frapadoodle on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 13:16

Personally I wouldn't say it matters. The main idea is to get a good seal on both panes. Never used tape myself, just an even bead and a moist fingertip to smooth. But I have years of practice using various caulks in job related activities.

Don't sell yourself short about building a tank. I have taken apart two 38 litre tanks to build an L shaped 56 litre, just to see if I can. Stuck at the hard part though, finding time to clean all the glass properly.

frapadoodle

Back to top Go down

All Masked Up

Post  endlessendlers on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 14:19

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/afl9cvpjheygakf/AABry2PBLbi5SzrQHTd91eGTa?dl=0

Above is a link to pics of tank with masking tape applied.

Frapadoodle, Thanks for the comments. I just think it will be less messy and give a tidier finish using tape. It was very time consuming though, it took around two hours to complete.

I'm going to clean again to make sure there's no loose silicone left.
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  frapadoodle on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 14:39

No worries. As for the tidy finnish, personal choice. The tape job looks great. Always good to take your time.
Making sure it's clean is a wise choice. You can't over do it, and it saves headaches in the long run.

frapadoodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 14:52

I've just seen your handy 'tape work', it looks spot on. Well done. The glass is looking as good as new. Perfect.

There are technical reasons why you need a good 5mm seal, but it doesn't matter if you go thicker, it just makes it stronger and just takes that little bit longer to cure. The tape suggestion, is just something I've used before and kinda guarantees success even for the most unskilled if a tidy finish is required.

If you do want to smooth it out with your finger, use very mild soapy water (washing up liquid is fine). Just make sure you rinse the tank out thoroughly afterwards when it has fully cured.

Take the tape off shortly after you've smoothed it all out and you're happy with it BEFORE the stuff cures.

Again, it's looking good you should be proud!

Last edited by Deans_Angels on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 14:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Paragraphs reordered)

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  Akasha on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 16:58

looking good Very Happy Well done Very Happy
Akasha

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 17:15

Thanks all for the kind comments. I so want to get this right first time. I must confess I used a tape measure to make sure each line was straight!

If I just left a bead of silicone and didn't smooth it, would it be more likely to leave air bubbles?

Btw I'm thinking of putting a few paraibas in when it's up and running.  A local man breeds them and says he's growing on a few blue lines new to him.  I'm very excited. Laughing
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 19:43

endlessendlers wrote:If I just left a bead of silicone and didn't smooth it, would it be more likely to leave air bubbles?

If you cut the nozzle at an angle, air bubbles don't really come into it, as long as you apply it in a constant gentle squeeze

like:

_____________________________/

and not:

____ ______ ___ __ _ _ __________ ____/

In order to distribute the sealant evenly, you have to adjust the speed to the flow. The harder you squeeze, the more will come out, so the quicker you have to move along. You'll find your own pace.

It's much like MMA welding, but I don't suppose that help you any!

Really, you just need to do it and remember - if something is worth doing, it's worth doing badly at first!
Very Happy

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 20:23

Thanks Dean. Not a clue what MMA welding is. Lol. Now I'm not sure whether to smooth or not! Sad
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  frapadoodle on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 22:56

While no expert, so no technical info, but I always smooth the caulk. I think it gives it a more clean, finnished look.

(Had to look up MMA welding as well. Not a trained welder so always called it stick or arc welding.)

frapadoodle

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 23:01

[quote="frapadoodle"]While no expert, so no technical info, but I always smooth the caulk. I think it gives it a more clean, finnished look.

(Had to look up MMA welding as well. Not a trained welder so always called it stick or arc welding.)[/quote Arrow ]

Ok. Smooth it is then.!
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Deans_Angels on Sun 09 Aug 2015, 17:37

I found some low cost HA6 yesterday, 2.99 a tube. Shame it was in white, otherwise I'd have had all 3 off the shelf. Black yes, clear yes, white... I'm not so sure (even if it is for just a fish room). Funny how some retailers sell it at more than double that price and if my memory serves me right, sealant is actually manufactured quite locally to me in Yorkshire. Rant over.

I'm sure the next photo's we'll be seeing are the finish product and then the completed installation with fish.

Deans_Angels

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Sun 09 Aug 2015, 18:05

Deans_Angels wrote:I found some low cost HA6 yesterday, 2.99 a tube.

I only paid 3.73 including postage for either black or translucent.
I'm sure the next photo's we'll be seeing are the finish product and then the completed installation with fish.

Yes, more pics will follow. Laughing
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Mon 10 Aug 2015, 10:43

Last edited by endlessendlers on Mon 10 Aug 2015, 11:15; edited 1 time in total
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  endlessendlers on Mon 10 Aug 2015, 10:51

I've just resealed tank with hubby's help. I'm only 80% happy.

I'm not happy with the front lefthand corner. I don't think the tape was stuck down properly and it's very messy.  Can I wait for it to cure and try to scrape a clean line with a razor blade or after it's cured remove all that corner and do it again?

Help please!

Posting link to pics soon
endlessendlers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum