» Need help theirs something wrong angelfish are acting really strange
Wed 13 Sep 2017, 10:37 by Pterophyllum

» Hi all. =)
Sun 03 Sep 2017, 15:52 by Pterophyllum

» Disaster has struck!!!
Thu 24 Aug 2017, 11:32 by Pterophyllum

» Is there anybody out there?
Wed 16 Aug 2017, 18:55 by Pterophyllum

» Hello everyone - just joined the forum.
Wed 16 Aug 2017, 18:53 by Pterophyllum

» Scottish Members.
Wed 16 Aug 2017, 14:36 by wildreddeer

» Keeping angelfish fry in the parents tank
Tue 15 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Pterophyllum

» Just Testing
Wed 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 by bridgegirl99

post deleted

Mon 24 Jul 2017, 16:09 by fredothedictator

post deleted

Comments: 2

Sunset Koi Angelfish

Sun 16 Oct 2016, 19:30 by MatthewHalliday

Shalom Everyone I want to buy some Sunset Koi Angelfish I bought one …

Comments: 3

WANTED Bugarian Greens/Albino Dantum

Sun 19 Jun 2016, 02:04 by Toondog

As the title suggest I'm trying to track down some Bulgarian Seal …

Comments: 0

Counter
free counters

Baby Albinos

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Baby Albinos

Post  Pterophyllum on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 00:24

i thought these deserved their own thread....

These have been free swimming for exactly one month. I have about 20 survivors, although some seem to be belly sliders, the majority seem to be thriving & growing rapidly. Interestingly the majority of the belly slides seem to be blushers. (note the one in vertical take off mode in the next photo)

and some will definitely not make the grade (the smaller of these two for example)

But on the whole I'm very happy!

Their father is definitely blue, I suspect he's an albino pinoy,

whilst there's a 2/3rds chance that Mum carries a pb gene,

so I'm hoping for some blue albinos in this batch. It's too early to say for sure, but I've got high hopes!

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Albinos

Post  bridgegirl99 on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:30

were they very hard to raise Rob? I have two albinos that seem to be growing up a different shape, so might possibly be a pair? too early to say yet but they do hang about together!

As I have limited space in my front room lol, if its going to be nigh on impossible to succeed, then I might just enjoy them in the main tank should they decide to pair.

Will you give the blushers a bit more time or can you tell at this stage they're not going to make it??

bridgegirl99

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:39

I was fortunate that the pair were keen to parent raise and gathered the wrigglers onto a breeding cone, I used a meat baster to pinch some of them, and placed them in a breeding net in a 35 litre tank, with the outlet of the (air driven) filter pointed at the net. I managed to raise about 1/2 of the ones I pinched. I was planning on giving the pair another shot at breeding, but unfortunately the male seemed to blame the female for the loss of the previous batch and was becoming increasingly aggressive towards her, so I've had to give them a rest for the moment.

Will you give the blushers a bit more time or can you tell at this stage they're not going to make it??

Some of the blushers are OK, but the majority of the belly sliders are blushers. Yes I can tell at this stage those that won't make it, despite that I'll give them a little more time, just in case I'm not omniscient! Also it will be easier to sort them out at the point when I have to move the others to larger accommodation.

Back to top Go down

Post  Grummie2 on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 18:21

Beautiful angels Rob! I have a thing for albinos, I know not everyone finds them attractive, but I find them fascinating. Shame about the belly sliders, I don't think I've ever had one recover from this problem, if raised they'll struggle in later life as well.

Grummie2

Back to top Go down

Post  Pterophyllum on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 18:30

There's only a few bellysliders, but I've just done a quick count, and I've about 15 good & healthy ones, previously 2 was my record raised from a spawn, so I'm gaining experience, I'm sure it won't be too long before I have them coming out of my ears.

I have a thing for albinos, I know not everyone finds them attractive, but I find them fascinating.

when I got the shipment from Ken, I knew some of them carried the albino gene, but I wasn't that bothered as at the time I didn't think I liked them, having now seen a few in the flesh, I'm a convert.
One of my aims is to cross them into my manacapuru cross lines, my aim, albino silvers with lots of red on them, and the deep body shape of my manu crosses. Shouldn't take me more than about 10 years or so.... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top